Friday, January 20, 2012

Character Development - Chosen Gene

Kind of a crappy sketch post for today, but...I guess there will be a lot of text to explain things.

Due to some problems in the past, Gene is one of my most fun and beloved characters and sometimes I come up with some interesting, if not unusual, ideas.

Gene is a young traveler with a strong wanderlust. He can be a tad cocky, quirky, rude, fun, adventurous, and so forth, but something that may be surprising is that is also very religious.
Due to some major events in his life, Gene has a strong belief in a deity that most people don't know still exist or not: an elemental god of ice that is known for actually being very loving and protective (I haven't decided on a name for him quite yet, still working that out), but since he travels so much and visits so many different places and cultures, he doesn't let people really know that part, not knowing how that would turn out.

Well, an odd idea came to mind while I was playing Champions Online.
I decided to create Gene in the game to have some fun and see how great the character builder is, and since I have several costume slots for every character, I have fun coming up with different variations.
There are -tons- of costume elements in the character builder, including wings and one of the wings I was able to get were the "Colossus Wings"; big rock wings that I think look kind of cool, but for some reason I never really got a chance to use.

That's when the idea struck me.

Gene's story in Champions is that he found himself in the Champions' setting of Millennium City with no real way to return back home; being the adventurous type he really didn't mind it, but over time it does start to bug him a little since everything he knew was left behind, and he actually feels weird knowing that the god he had so much faith in doesn't exist in this world.
Then something odd happened to him; I don't have any real details on what exactly happened, but Gene was 'transformed', being given some strange power for a limited time. His appearance actually changed a bit, looking more like the god he worshiped and one of the things that appeared were these massive ice shard wings.



This is what I call in game as "Chosen Gene".



This idea really intrigued me, especially with a lot of the crap I've been putting him through; the idea of Gene being 'rewarded' with this is something I may develop a bit more.
What is also interesting is that, in a previous posting, I had Gene "infected" with something I called "Organium" which acts kind of like a bio-tech parasite; something that contrasts strongly with this idea.

As for the sketch itself, I don't think it's really that good.



The idea was suppose to be a 'reaction' to when Gene first receives these powers and the ice wings literally shoot out of his back unexpectedly.
It's not very good and I think there are a bunch of problems with it, but I think it's a good starting point and it could be something I can work with later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment