Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Character Sketch - Turian

Small posting for today.

I really love the Mass Effect world; it is incredibly huge and has some real personality and variety, each alien race feels unique and you can see the great differences in things like technology and society through the whole thing.
I was also very delighted to see that they actually had unique races in the universe (as much as I love Star Trek, I get tired of seeing more human-looking aliens in the whole of the friggen galaxy).


Since the first game, I think my favorite race of them all were the turians; I mean, they look cool, from what you learn of their society it sounds pretty interesting, and after the First Contact war they do seem to be more like allies than some of the other races (a fact that kind of is enforced in Mass Effect 3).
Garrus becomes a standard in my party (very hard to break that habit) and he was certainly the love interest for my fem-Shep, and really, the quarians and the geth come in second after the quarians.
(And yes, I'm upset that you can visit the asari, salarian, and heck, even the quarian/geth homeworlds, but you don't see the turian homeworld? what the crap Bioware?)


As you can imagine, since then I've wanted to sit down and actually draw the turians but holy crap, they are deceptively hard to draw. Every time I've tried in the past the sketch turns into a right horror show, so it's been a disappointment.

During the three weeks I was off, I rediscovered the 'Art of Mass Effect', a book a friend had given to me which is, well, a proper art book with stuff for Mass Effect, and they had a good section on Saren and the turians. When looking through it, I kind of realized how simplified they ended up drawing some of them before all the detail is added in.

So...I was inspired, and this is the result.



Despite the legs, I think this is the first time I drew a decent turian. I tried to add in a few minor details to help him look a bit more unique, but overall I was trying to keep him simple so I could actually get it to look right.

As for the character himself, I don't really have any details worked out yet, I gave him the temporary name of 'Nero' until I can find something that sounds a bit better. He is meant to be a younger turian, but I'm not sure on exact details for him yet; like his backstory, how he fits into the whole mess of the galaxy and so on.


And the 'N7' on the armor is just there for fun.

Also, calibrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment