Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sketches - Race Designs

Today's posting are some random creature race ideas that I had during my time off a while ago, creatures that I can see existing in either a fantasy or sci-fi setting, though I think they were more for the sci-fi end.



First up is a random design that I worked out. I didn't really have a direction, I just kind of started working on a sketch while my brain came up with some things I would thought I would like to see, and here we are.  I'm not sure how to describe this guy to be honest, in some ways he's kind of like a goblin/kobold creature, but in some cases he's not.
I really like how this guy turned out, so there is a high probability that I'll try and do some more with him.
Also, in the corner I have the height differences between him and a standard human, and yes the human is Starfleet. /nerd



Second is a design for a big dino-type race that I just felt a spur of the moment to try and work on. The rifle and the armor and heavily influenced by Mass Effect (I played a lot of that during my 'hiatus'), but the race itself was something I came up at random. Working out a name for them still, but so far I kind of like the sounds of 'the Tyran'.
The odd doodles on the right are actually ideas for rank/insignias for the race, kind of a combination of circles or octagons with arrows, the more of them, the higher the rank of the officer.



Third up is a race that was a bit odd and in some ways creeped me out. The idea for these guys came from a bizarre dream I had where a ship crashed on the planet and these aliens formed bodies from whatever they were around. While creepy, was actually kind of nifty.
The actual creatures are unknown; I'm not sure if they're like little motes of energy or some other form of energy lifeform, so they actually form bodies out of the natural material around them; rocks, wood, earth, and so on. These designs were kind of ideas of the variation they could have in the body construction, the first one I think is more defensive/soldier-like while the other ones are meant to be more for aesthetics.
The openings I think would be necessary, since I think that when the motes flash and flicker they're actually communicating with each other.

Random ideas, but they can b odd and fun to work with, so who knows if these guys will make an appearance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment